Friday, May 10, 2024

Professional or hobby?

I'm basically a humble person, due to experience. Maybe too much so. Some might say not enough. I believe ego is too often misused. So, after a rosy-lens attempt at healing an unavoidable situation, I turned to the IRS definition of professional versus hobby writing. After all, I was getting just enough royalties to complicate my life, not enough to support the habit properly. Not much in that area has changed, I confess. 

What has changed is focus. Apparently that was badly needed. I'm a better writer for it. Hidden blessings rarely come in aesthetically appealing packages. 

I decided if it was a hobby, something done for my own satisfaction, then I could take the glow of just pride in finding ways to do it right. Instead of concentrating on speed, I aimed at telling a good story. 

It's been a many years since my first, traditionally published (small local press, out of business now) narrative nonfiction book. It took a few more years of bad advice, well-meant "help", and a total of eight more self-published books to beat down that unsavory pride. 

Manuscript number nine (complete) was and is very different. Number ten, even more so. I attend many webinars, read many industry advice books and articles, taking what I can from each, good or bad. I'm not too old to learn, a thing I always enjoy most outside of traditional classrooms.

I also learned the definition the IRS pushes isn't the only one out there. "Professional" isn't a thing of money. It's a thing of skill. Exhibit professionalism, and you become its essence. 

My advice is to go forth and be professional, even if (especially if) you're poor, disabled, struggling, or unsure of the future. When the stakes are high, the value of the story raises accordingly. 

Live the story. Don't let anyone "put Baby in the corner". Remember to put your fists at the ready if you start talking fight. Raise the stakes. Lock and load.

A hobby is something you do for the joy in it. Anything worth doing is worth doing right. There's no reason you can't be a professional while still a hobbyist. 

Love your art. It needs you. You need it.

2 comments:

  1. I agree...for me writing is a hobby, but that doesn't mean we're unprofessional.

    ReplyDelete